Maria Montessori developed a method for the child to maximize his potential at each developmental phase. For the 3-6 year old this includes providing opportunities for the child
- To have the freedom to move
- To have lessons in grace and courtesy and mutual respect
- To have beautiful materials to work with
- To have an environment scaled down to his size
- To have freedom to pursue his interests
- To learn at his own pace
- And to become informed about the world he lives in.
Maria Montessori viewed the teacher as a guide who through patient observation is attuned to the child’s individual needs and therefore ready to guide the child to the next level of learning.